Saturday, September 04, 2010

Reading about faithful and not so faithful people

For our online book club, we've been reading "Little Women" by Louisa May Alcott. When we voted for what to read, I believe I didn't vote for this one, but I'm glad I read it, I really liked it. The story basically follows the life of four sisters from their teens to later when they are adults - there are two parts to the book. The title of my post alludes to "The Pilgrim's Progress" by John Bunyan, each of the daughters got a copy of that book from their parents. They read it pretty regularly and refer to it sometimes. I've had that book on my to-read list for a while and would read it right now for reference, but it's back in California on one of my bookshelves. So I guess I'll get it from there on my next visit.

And just in the last couple of days, I've read "A Rare Benedictine: The Advent of Brother Cadfael" by Ellis Peters. It contains three classic stories featuring Brother Cadfael. The first one seems to be set shortly before he decides to become a monk, so we find out a little bit about his life before he became a monk and the events that lead up to it. The other two are tales featuring the monastic sleuth solving mysteries around the monastery at Shrewsbury. Each of the stories is only about 50 pages long, but each is as captivating as a whole novel. They were a joy to read and now I'm giving the book away to someone else who likes books by Ellis Peters. Obviously monks are usually faithful people, too, but sometimes they're not as faithful as it may seem...

(50 books in 2010 book count: 33)

No comments: