Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The local library

Just last Thursday, I had walked over to the local library to get a library card. I noticed that there would be a library book sale on Friday and Saturday, so of course I had to go. I got a couple of books on Friday, they were the same price as in the little book store the library has. On Saturday, you could get a whole bag of books for only $5. Since I saw some that I was interested in and some for my sister-in-law, I got a bag filled to bursting! After the purchase, I had to divide the books between two bags and still the bags were heavy!

So I got a whole bunch of books for my sister-in-law. She's teaching English to elementary school kids in Germany and would like to start a little library so they can read English books on their own if they'd like. I think I found a nice variety on different reading levels. I've read the following in the last couple of days:

  • The Nancy Drew Notebook #4 - Bad Day for Ballet by Carolyn Keene
  • Boy Can He Dance by Eileen Spinelli
  • 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, a graphic classic based on the novel by Jules Verne
  • Night-Time by Eileen Pettigrew
  • Bonny's Big Day by James Herriot
  • The Fox Went Out on a Chilly Night (this is an illustration of an old song and has especially detailed drawings)
  • When the Wind Blew by Margaret Wise Brown
  • Bear Mouse by Berniece Freschet
  • Disney's Brother Bear
It wouldn't be fair to count these for the 50 books challenge (unless I get desperate towards the end of the year ;) ), but they were fun to read, I think the students will enjoy those and the others I included (even a couple of the Narnia novels by C.S. Lewis - I read those a few years ago).

Of course I like books on tape, and there were a few of those as well, so I added those to my bag as well.

No comments: