Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Goliath's Trap

Last year in Germany, I bought this book on sale, just because I like to learn more about Israel. Goliaths Falle: Israelis und Palaestinenser im Wuergegriff (Goliath's Trap: Israelis and Palestinians in a Stranglehold) by Moshe Zimmermann. I started reading some of the articles right away and then continued this year on my next trip. It was very timely after the attack on the ship that happened recently.

The book gave me another glimpse at the kind of thinking that is common among Israelis and among Palestinians and a little more understanding of why the conflict is so difficult to solve and is still going on. The vicious circle of escalating violence and counter-violence. The borders of the country that are still ill-defined have contributed to conflict all along since the existence of the state of Israel. Zimmermann knows that "the occupation in the long run hurts those the most who carry it out.

On a lighter note, I realized that some time maybe a month ago, I read the 6th book in the Number One Ladies' Detective Agency series "In the Company of Cheerful Ladies" and enjoyed it a lot. I'm looking forward to reading the next book.

(50 books in 2010 count: 22)

No comments: